6.23.2009

"Because I'm growing and so are You"


My son, Canon is growing up so fast lately.  We weaned him off his binky in April (using the binky fairy technique, which has a 2 for 2 success rate in our home.)  Soon afterward he stopped needing his puppy or blanket to sleep.  And last night when I offered him his blanket, he said that it was too small for him now.  A piece of me is sad that my little boy no longer carries around his puppy, but it's probably a necessary step.  He can't very well bring his puppy to his college classes, can he.

He's speaking so well, too.  He can communicate what he wants, what injustice Taesya has committed, and how he is feeling.  

And the newest "big boy" step is just beginning today.  We're starting the process of Potty Training.  We went to Target last night and bought Canon some underpants, which he is so excited about.  He picked Cars, Diego, and Ironman ones.  He has a chart to work his way towards a new baseball hat.  After sitting on the toilet about 15 times since last night, he's gone pee pee a total of one time.  (And twice in his underwear.)  We're going to stick with diapers at night, but strictly underpants all day long.  So obviously, we're going to be sticking around the house this week as much as possible.  (I remember when we were training Tae, she made a rather large yellow puddle in Bowman's grocery store.)

But he's excited to be growing up and I'm excited for him.  Canon is such a sweet and loving boy.  And I hope through all this I can teach him to be proud of himself and his accomplishments.  I love my kids.  :)



(The title is from a Barney song)

4 Comments:

Dave said...

What a great blog post!

Amber said...

Update:

We have put a total of 4 stars on his chart, so far. He's doing great! But it's tiring to ask him every few minutes whether or not he needs to "go potty." It's a long road, but the reward will be worth it.

Mel said...

Hey Amber-I just found your blog, and I love it! Its great to hear how you're doing after well...High School? Man I feel old. Anyway. Just thought I'd drop you a line and say Hello! Melissa [Bryson] Brock

marciea casselman said...

Hopefully you won't be spending too much time at home waiting for Canon to be potty trained. It took Kalie a long time and a lot of patience which was NOT in plentiful supply on my end.

Post a Comment

A Penny for your Thoughts?