1.24.2010

Working at home. I want it to work.

Hey - This is Ben (just wanted to clarify because I don't write much)

Sorry to get all soap boxy on you but why is it that my job has to take up so much time? Everyone everywhere says they'd never look back on there life and say "I wish I spent more time with my job". I thought that if I owned my own company that I would be able to find ways to spend less time at work and more time with my family. The more I try to do that it just results in less money and therefore more stress and pressure to work. I know money isn't everything but in our society that's all they'll except for payment.

I work from home so yes I'm with my family all day but that doesn't mean I get to do fun stuff with them all day. I like seeing my family during the day and I want to keep it that way but I'm finding that it seems to make it harder to work. I don't think its because they're distracting or too loud or love me too much that they can't keep themselves from coming over once and a while to say hi or that they shoved there brother into the wall and for some reason he's crying. I like all that, it makes life more interesting. I think its more the fact that I see them and I don't want to work, I want to be home and I'm forcing my self to work and less focused on it.

I think its the same on the other side. When I'm home I see the computer and I start thinking about all the things I need to get done or didn't get done and I'm totally not focused on being a good father or husband. Its really frustrating because I want to work from home but I don't know how to train my mind to do it. Does anybody know a "Home based business mind consultant"? Because I really need one.

Amber and I have thought of a few things that might help and have helped before such as me going to the library to work some days of the week or maybe putting some kind of barrier between the "office room" and the rest of the house. Our last result is for me to work somewhere else all day just like a "normal" job but I'm shooting for something better. I'm looking for a way to make life better and still live comfortably. I understand that life is going to always have its stresses and hard times and I feel like thats where I'm at so I must be doing something right because if it wasn't hard it would be worth it.

If anyone that reads this has any suggestions that would help me be able to have a more balanced work life while working at home please feel free to add your suggestions. I don't want to work somewhere else, I want to be home with my family.

2 Comments:

Boyd M said...

I work at home and at work. There are certain reponsibilities that you have as a husband and father. They actually conflict at times. That is how life is. So sometimes work comes before family and sometimes family comes before work. It is a learning process. But you and Amber need to be flexible. Being Self employed you can make the decision to be available for certain things all the time, but you then do have to make up the time you missed at work. You will figure it out.

Jenilyn said...

I think the longer you do it the easier it will become. I try taking the kids to the store or library or something every other day or so so that John can get a good solid several hours in. Also John usually works a good couple hours late at night or early in the morning. I think having a door that locks that you can work behind if necessary is a must for us. It is totally worth it though, I would never go back. Good luck.

Post a Comment

A Penny for your Thoughts?