5.25.2010

Communication

In between the incoherent caveman-like grunts, growls, and shouts of frustration -- today has been a breakthrough in Keller's communication skills.  I had a cup of orange juice, which he gestured to and requested, "Meese."  This means please.  So I got him a cup and he waited nicely.  I poured some into his glass and he drank it happily.  "Mwoh," he said and I poured him a little bit more.  He had refills until he was satisfied.  His words had gotten him what he wanted; I think that made him very glad.

Today was the first day that he actually pointed to the correct place when asked, "Where is your nose, Keller?"  I was so proud!  And he's saying "danx" for thank you.  Granted, most of the day is still primitive at best, but I can see the glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel.

On the other hand, I'm not in any hurry for him to talk back and shout "No!" at me like his siblings.  Talking certainly has it's pros and cons.

3 Comments:

Kim Walker Mortensen said...

Love it!!! I think it is funny you call them Caveman Grunts it just fits it so perfectly!

marciea casselman said...

I'll take a talker any day over a grunter. I had a grunter for 3 1/2 years and by the time words started coming out of his mouth we almost cried with joy.

Michal Thompson said...

hurray for words!

Post a Comment

A Penny for your Thoughts?