9.27.2009

Urgent - I need Imput!

I'm supposed to write a free verse poem for my Creative Writing class. I chose to use the way I felt when we first moved to Glendale, an area of Salt Lake City. Compared to Kaysville, Salt Lake seemed super scary. So my imagination ran wild sometimes. Anyways, so I've written two poems, and I really don't feel super confident about either. I like what I am trying to convey (I'm not scared of Glendale anymore, by the way) but I don't know if I put it on paper well.

Please read the poems and give me some comments. Do you like one of them more than the other? Why? What parts did you like or dislike? My class is Monday night, so I'm just scrambling for advice. Thanks in advance. Writing for a grade is intense.

Poem #1

At night
I hear a car driving by.
Drive by?
He is going fast and loud,
And my shoulders feel tight.
So I see
An explosion of glass,
Covering the room;
And I hear
Pop pop of a gun outside,
My child cries for me,
Tires squeal away.
I step away from the window,
The large square pane still whole.
I touch the glass and it’s cold.
I pray a little.

Near noon
I hear a siren.
Does it sound close?
It echoes down the swamp cooler
Into my home.
Into my home?
The wail gets fast and loud,
And my neck feels tense.
So I see
A rough-faced man,
Running toward my home.
And I hear
His heavy breathing,
The door hitting the wall,
Hushed urgency.
I run to the front door,
The heavy painted wood stands closed.
I lock it once, twice,
And I close the curtains tight.

Poem #2

If I hear a car at night,
Driving loud and fast near my home,
Full of people I have never met,
I assume the worst:
It’s a gang,
A drive-by
They are going to shoot us.
In my brain I can hear
Them laughing,
Shooting a gun,
Exploding the glass in my front window.
I feel very tight,
Like if I just hold my breath
Maybe they will pass us by.
I check the window;
The pane is cold but whole.
This time it wasn’t me.

Every siren that I hear,
Echoing down the swamp cooler,
Weaving in and out of my ear,
Means someone is in trouble.
I feel the trouble coming:
A criminal,
Running from the police,
Into my home.
And I can see
His darkened eyes,
The gun in his hand,
My fear
And the tremble of my children.
I run to lock the door
Both locks
And I carefully glance through the peep hole.
No one is coming today.

I heard that a neighbor lost two dogs
In the middle of the night,
Pure bread bloodhounds,
Who haven’t come back.
There’s graffiti on the elementary school wall,
Letters that I don’t understand,
Put there by someone I have never met.
But we’ve been here for a year
And it still hasn’t been us.
Not our window, our door, our home.
Not yet.

(Really, Mom and Dad, I'm not scared of Glendale anymore. I don't want these poems to freak you out, k?)

8 Comments:

Kim Walker Mortensen said...

First one was intense!!!

Ashley said...

I like the first poem better. 3 reasons:

1. The second is more of a dialogue, but I like the way the first gives the reader bits and pieces of information, allowing them to put it all together. Instead of reading the story, the reader is able to "create" the story while it's being read.

2. The short bits in the first give a feeling of urgency, an "in the moment" type of feeling. It's somewhat rushed, but I think that is the feeling you are probably trying to convey.

3. I like the use of the two question marks, especially the second. It's like you are trying to say, "I hear the sound coming into my home. WAIT, my HOME? That mean's it must be close! I don't want the sound, or THEM coming into my HOME!" But you were able to say all that (or something like it) in just three simple words and a question mark. Brilliant.

They are both great, but my vote is definitely for the first.

- Scott

kalie said...

Hi Amber, I think it's funny we both live in Glendale! :) I can definitely commiserate with the ghetto fabulousness of your neighborhood... though ours is not, my school most definitely is. I like the first one better. Nice work!

sNick said...

My vote is for number 1, and an interpretation of the code word. I've tried, but I just can't break it.

Boyd M said...

I thought the first poem was better.

Dad

Amber said...

Nick-

I just really think the code words required to post comments are so funny sometimes. So I was just letting you know what code word popped up when I commented on your blog. Love!

-Amber

Amber said...

What great friends and family I have!

Savannah said...

I know you don't really need the input now, but I really liked the first one. It's genius and very vivid. I like that you make the readers put the final pieces together for themselves. So talented!

Post a Comment

A Penny for your Thoughts?