4.22.2010

My backyard looks like a wet disaster

It's not even 9:00 yet and I am already shaking my fist at this day.  Not a good sign. So I have to reset my brain and begin again.

I started to re-read a parenting book last night; maybe this time it'll stick.  It's called Common Sense Parenting of Toddlers and Preschoolers.  I've never finished it, so I can't recommend it; but chapter one was super enlightening this time around.  It was all about expectations.  I took a minute to determine what I really expect from my children.

I expect Taesya to:
Dress herself and put her dirty clothes in the hamper
Brush her hair
Brush her teeth
Clear her dishes into the sink
Buckle her seatbelt
Pour a drink for herself
Use fork, spoon, napkin
Make her bed
Play independently sometimes
Speak kindly

I expect Canon to:
Dress himself and put his dirty clothes in the hamper
Brush his teeth with help
Make his bed with help
Clear his dishes
Play independently sometimes
Use fork, spoon, napkin
Get into his carseat and buckle the top buckle
Speak kindly

I expect Keller to:
Begin to keep his food on the table
Drink out of a cup
Stay out of the dog's food/water
Stay in one place for diaper and clothing changes

I'm supposed to make sure that I have communicated my expectations to my children.  They should understand them, be able to describe them to me in their own words.  And also I am supposed to lead by example.  If I'm not getting myself ready in the morning, why would the kids think they should?  Mom is showing them that we should get dressed and cleaned up at the last minute.  So I have to adjust my habits and they will notice.

This week, we are going to work on expectations.  What do I expect of my children and what do they expect of me.  I realize my children expect me to be a lot more prepared than I actually am.  And if I lived up to their expectations, I believe things would be smoother.

I have a friend coming over in twenty minutes, so I better get myself dressed.  I have reset my brain, for now at least.

2 Comments:

marciea casselman said...

I really thought this post would focus on your backyard as a disaster and I was going to say that you could just simply join the club; the backyard disaster club.
But I think it is really wise to give our children expectations from us, otherwise how will they ever know what they are capable of?
Have a good day and enjoy your friend.

Kim Walker Mortensen said...

I am continually working on this and waiting for my kids to follow. :)

Post a Comment

A Penny for your Thoughts?