10.07.2010

Beauty all around

Things that make my heart melt into a big puddle of goo:

1.  That look my dog gives me through the fence, as I drive away and leave her at home.  "I love you," I say, "I'll be back."

Cutey Lacey
2.  My children's adorable sleeping faces.  And the interesting positions they sleep in; Taesya has always been one for hanging halfway off the bed, while Keller prefers to stick his butt in the air.

Keller at the Peck reunion.
3.  Sweaters and tiny corduroy dresses at Old Navy in fall colors.  Just imaging my new little daughter all snug in comfy clothes makes me very joyful.

I bought this dress for Jovie.
My Mom borrowed my Keller for the day and I was so glad.  What does a young mother do when her youngest is missing?  She does her hair and makeup!  I actually took the time to make myself look nice and boy oh boy, I felt pretty as I dropped my son off at Pre-K.  One question, though, for all you regular make-up wearers out there: do you just learn to never touch your face during the day, or what?  I go to rub my eyes or something and then say, "Dang it, I forgot I had make-up on."  Is there some magical way to rub your eyes or scratch your face that I need to learn?  I know I sound silly, but I'm really quite a novice at the make-up thing.

I filled up my van's gas tank yesterday and I realized something quirky about myself.  For once I actually filled the tank up to Full, which sounds like the normal thing to do, I know.  But I guess I usually stop it early, because it's hot outside, or the gas is pumping slow, or I don't have that much money in my budget.  So I got back into my car and started driving to the grocery store with my childrens.  I glanced at my gas gauge and it bugged me a little.  Why?  It was on Full.  Like all the way Full.  "Why does that bug me?" I pondered.  "Am I a weirdo or something?"  

Minutes later, I decided it's a cash flow thing.  When that amount of gas is sitting in my car, I no longer have access to that money.  I can't decide to spend $20 of that on something else that I might need more.  A Full gas tank feels like I'm driving around with a car full of money, money that's stuck and I can't get.  

Sounds totally strange.  I don't drive a lot, really, as far as distance goes.  So I can make a third of a tank last a week usually.  And if I need milk or bread, I'd rather that money be in my checking account, rather than my gas tank.  I'm quirky, so sue me.

Ben is quirky, too.  He has a pillow, but he doesn't sleep on it.  I've been awake often at night and I shake my head as I see his pillow propped up against the headboard, with him flat on his stomach or back, arms spread wide at his sides.  "Why do you have a pillow?" I wonder to him.

This has been kind of longish.  Hope I didn't bore you too much.  It's been a good day.  If you want to comment and share something that makes your heart melt into a big puddle, I would love to hear.  

3 Comments:

Amylee said...

I love the goo-ness that is involved in this post. Right now Will is really into learning. Letters and songs and pictures and playdoh fill his days. The fact that he'd rather write words as I spell them than watch "Arthur" makes me all gooey and squishy.

And babies. Other people's babies. They make me gooey too.

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

I loved this post...
My heart melts when my kids tell me, "I love you, Mom." and when they give each other hugs, now that is CUTE!

I must say if we were going to have more children, Jovie is the cutest name :)

I'm with you on the full tank of gas.... our budget has been so tight for the last couple of years.... I never know when I'm gonna need an extra $10 or something.

I'm a total weirdo! For some reason, I guess it's just a habit, I like to wear makeup nearly everyday... not too much just concealer, mascara, and lipstick usually. I have really fair skin and almost blonde eyelashes, so I look like a ghost without it. It's just me, I always feel better and seem to get more done (yeah, I don't know?) But I always catch myself wanting to itch my eyes and I open them really wide and blink them a lot... this is my way of itching them... it doesn't really work, but it makes me feel like it does. ha ha ha

still lovin' your dog, yay, Lacey (I spelled it right) I always wished my name were spelled that way! :)

marciea casselman said...

Concerning makeup...it is a requirement for me. I really try to never go anywhere without it, so yes, I have learned to not touch my face.
And goo? Watching my dog dance around people that he loves and have them pick him up and give him a love.

Post a Comment

A Penny for your Thoughts?