5.02.2009

Walking in Someone Else's Shoes

The next time you're driving on the freeway, in your own little world, heading off somewhere important or lame or urgent - expand your circle and notice the other cars.  Notice that there are people in each of those cars, and those people are going somewhere, too.  Maybe you're having a bad day or a good day or are worried about something, well - those other cars full of other people - what kind of day are they having?  What are they struggling with?

The first time I thought of this was when Ben lost his job in December.  I was driving around wondering how we'd buy groceries or whether I'd ever get to go to school again, when I began to look around me.  Had any of these people lost their jobs?  Was that lady worried about something, too?  And suddenly it made me want to help somehow, at least to smile, and let them know it'd be ok.

Everyone's going through stuff.  Maybe right now your stuff is going pretty good, and that's awesome.  People around you, though, could be having a hard time.  And you can help them out. Smile at them, pray for them - and just plain leave the judging to someone else - cuz people who are struggling need love and acceptance.  Warmth and comfort.  Expand your circle of awareness and notice those who're having a rough day.  And one day when it's your turn to struggle, someone can be there for you.

1 Comments:

kalie said...

I know exactly what you mean! I love this post.

Post a Comment

A Penny for your Thoughts?