3.10.2010

Busytown

Ben has been working like a crazy person lately.  Working all day, then after the kids are in bed, working at night.  He's exhausted.  But he's happy.  I think that he's happier working for himself, making his own decisions, doing what he loves.  He worries about money, but he's more content than I've seen him in a long time.

Check out Ben's work at www.bentdesignstudio.com

The Secret Garden (the play that I am in) is going well.  We finished blocking last night, so from now on, we're just running the show over and over and over.  I love being at the Children's Theater and spending time with all those hilarious people.  I laugh every day!  And it's awesome to receive such support from my friends and family; so many people want to come see the show--I feel so loved.

If you want tickets: www.tctheatre.org

We have had a dog for almost 4 days now.  We adopted Riley on Friday, picking him up in Logan.  He is a 3-yr-old Alaskan Malamute/German Shepherd mix.  Every day has been a learning experience, for sure.  Just learning to understand what he needs is going to take some time.  (Does he need to go outside?  Or does he just need some attention?)  I think I expected that life would be the same, just with a dog; but life is different, and we need to make some adjustments.  For example, Ben learned yesterday that doing sit-ups on the floor with the dog in the room is basically impossible.  Riley is such a sweetie, though, and we're glad to have him in our family.  


Keller has decided to start talking again.  He took a long break while he was learning to walk, but now that he's gotten that skill down, he's refocused on communication.  He can say ball, book, dog, no no, tickle tickle, mama, dada, baba (bottle), and something that sounds a little bit like Taesya.  Anytime he learns a new grown-up thing, he looks so proud of himself.  My favorite is Kisses!  He kisses me now!


Taesya's still doing great in school.  Her teacher wants her to get tested for some kind of more advanced schooling, but I have mixed feeling about that.  I really want my kids to be kids, to be able to have fun, avoid all the pressure for a while.  Why are we all in such a hurry to grow up?  Being grown up is tough.  So, for now, Tae's going to stay where she's at.


Canon and I went to Smith's together yesterday, just the two of us.  It was a quick trip, but we had a good time.  Canon is such a sweet kid.  He loves me and we love being together.  He picked some Star Wars fruit snacks for himself.  Random sticks are becoming swords lately, and half-eaten toast becomes a gun.  Should I be worried?  

            Hope this didn't seem like a Christmas letter; there's a lot going on 'round here.

            5 Comments:

            Ashley said...

            Keller's talking? I'm glad he is but that makes me sad because I'm missing it...

            Michal Thompson said...

            no, just a boy thing! Everything will be a weapon, everything! Is having a dog like having another kid? So if Ben works for himself then really you could live ANYWHERE!

            Amber said...

            Keller really only says those few words, Ash.

            And Michal, I am still figuring out what a dog is like. There are kid-like things (feed him, keep him clean) but then there are dog-like things (He will lay on the beanbag for hours when Ben is on the computer)... Anyways, I am SO not a dog expert.

            marciea casselman said...

            No on the sticks. That's a boy thing. They love swords and guns and star wars laser swords and love swinging them around. Court had a plethora of Star Wars laser swords and would have his friends over and they would have a friendly war. All in good fun.
            And a dog? Wow. I think that is a huge thing, probably because I am not a real animal lover. I think they are ok if they live outside in the wild.
            One final thought on the accelerated learning stuff: I agree completely. I was told to put my kids in Spectrum and I decided that they needed to learn how to get along with people and situations more than do more homework and be busier. They will learn all that they need to learn and be just fine.

            Stephanie said...

            What a busy little pile of cuteness.

            Post a Comment

            A Penny for your Thoughts?