3.27.2010

Like a Box of Chocolates

I'm 25 years old and I carry a lot of adult responsibility.  I have a mortgage, a self-employed husband, and three children under the age of 5.  Sometimes I envy those other 25 year olds that I graduated with; I imagine they all live glamorous, simple lives.  Lives of less responsibility.  Recently I have realized I am wrong.

One 25 year old has had to cope with years of infertility and is now working hard to be considered for adoption.
One 25 year old fell in love with a boy who was called off to war.  A whole year she waited to be with him again.
One 25 year old was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  She's been through surgery and chemotherapy.

As I heard these stories, I was taken aback that someone could go through such difficulty at such a young age.  And I'm stunned at how different each of our lives can be.  In my ignorance, I saw only married-with-kids and single-and-interesting.  Like every other kid I knew just stayed a teenager or something.  Life is more complex than that.

This 25 year old woke up at 5 am with a sick son.  I couldn't fall back to sleep because I'm worrying about an audition that I have today, and my other sick child is sleeping in my bed.  There is food in my refrigerator, though; and after I eat breakfast, I will say good morning to my good husband.  He'll smile at me and we'll work together through the chaos of a morning in our home.  There is the burden of responsibility, that I feel on my shoulders everyday, but there is also a great deal of love.  And I am grateful for all the love in my life.

I'm grateful for my beautiful children.  I'm grateful for my health.  And I'm grateful that Heavenly Father sent me trials designed specifically for me; He knows me better than I know myself, for sure.

I want to express my admiration for those out there who are going through something hard.  You are strong and resilient; you will make it through this trial.  I look up to you.

2 Comments:

Michal Thompson said...

Thank you for helping all of us who feel burded remember that we should be a little more grateful!

marciea casselman said...

It is easy to look around us and feel that everyone else's life is better than ours. I guess the task for all of us is to find joy in the simple things no matter what they are and the station of life we are in.

Post a Comment

A Penny for your Thoughts?